Saturday, October 24, 2009

Blog # 8

For this blog I chose to read the article, " Effects of media coverage of Women's Health Initiative study on attitudes and behavior of women receiving hormone replacement therapy". I also chose to complete option 1 of assignment 7, so I was already familiar with the Women's Health Initiative study. For those of you that did not do that assignment, this study basically looked at the risks/benefits of postmenopausal women taking either estrogen-only hormone replacement or estrogen plus progestin hormone replacement. These results were then compared with the control group that was taking placebo pills. The main focus of this study was to see if these hormone replacement therapies decreased a women's risk for heart disease, stroke, breast and colon cancer. The risks for the estrogen plus progestin product were much higher than the benefits which actually resulted in early termination of the study. The results of the estrogen only product showed no difference in risk for heart disease or cancer, but increased risk for stroke and blood clot.

In the article several women who were currently taking hormone replacement therapy were surveyed and asked if they knew of this study and if it effected their decision to take hormone replacement therapies. The study showed that all of the women in the study had heard of the Women's Health Initiative study and that it indeed had an influence on their decision to take HRT. Although most reported that they trusted their physicians some made changed without their consultation. The problem that this study mainly addressed was the lack of difference between women taking estrogen-only and estrogen plus progestin medication. This lack of difference suggests that the media was not differentiating to two and that women were misinformed on the true findings of the study.

I enjoyed this article and I felt it was easy to identify the point it was making. In today's society we have so much access to information that it can sometimes be more hurtful than helpful when it comes to our health. It is so important to find a physician you trust and if you do research on your own make sure it is credible information. After all your health is not something you want to take a chance on because some new Internet study sounded like a good idea.

Reference:

Blalock, S.J. & McIntosh, J. (2005, January 1) Effects of media coverage of Women's Health
Initiative study on attitudes and behaviors of women receiving hormone replacement
therapy. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (Vol 62).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    It is refreshing that you approached this research and findings as a “question of trust”, which is the question many of us deal with regarding whether to follow our doctor’s advice or follow what we find on the internet in our own “private research”. I imagine doctors today sort of expect patients to bring in for office visits bringing with them copies of symptoms and diagnosis, or medications or warnings they found on the web. Most doctors are not offended as they once might have been. In our parent’s day, to question a doctor was unthinkable, but today it happens all the time. In my case, I do both. I follow my doctor’s advice with my cholesterol problem but I also question her on safer alternatives. She does not get offended with my private research but considers that a good sign that I am seeking health information. We are sort of a team. Then when I get my blood work done, either it validates the path I took, or requires some adjustments. If I had to choose between my doctor and the internet, I would defer to my doctor’s judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what you're right about finding a physician that you can trust. And finding credible information can be a overwhelming task, but we need to stay current on accurate information. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete