Saturday, October 17, 2009

Blog # 7

1) Many people equate STDs with immorality, promiscuous behavior and low social status. What are your thoughts on this statement?

As we discussed in earlier chapters sex is a part of life. Depending on an individuals ethnic or religious beliefs they may believe that STD's are closely related to immorality and promiscuous behaviors. I have to agree that to some extent STD's can be related to immorality and promiscuous behavior however, I don't believe this is ALWAYS the case. I believe much of the spread of such STD's comes from the lack of information/education on the topic. Perhaps taking Sex Ed. out of schools. If adolescents are not educated on the dangers of STD's and ways to prevent themselves, they are less likely to protect themselves against contracting them. Usually the thought of getting pregnant over shadows the thought of getting an STD. Although most STD's are curable I think it is very important to educate young people on the dangers of contracting an STD and the lifelong effects they can cause. I think if girls in their teens knew that leaving an STD untreated could cause them to be unable to have children later in life, they would probably rethink the decisions they are making.

I have to question the idea that those of low social status are more likely to contract STD's. I do believe it is likely that these individuals often are less likely to be treated for STD's due to limited access to health care. I also believe that in this category are often less educated and less likely to know how to protect themselves. I do know that STD's can happen to any person of any social or economic group. I also think we would be surprised looking at college campuses of high social economic status and the incidence of STD's. Even those that are educated and have access to great health care can make poor choices when influenced by drugs, alcohol or peers.

I think it is important that information on the implications of STD's are readily available to educate persons having or considering having sex.

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed true that sexually transmitted diseases can be passed between people during sexual contact and they have plagued humankind throughout history. The two main venereal diseases in the United States have traditionally been gonorrhea and syphilis. Scientists now know that many other diseases can be passed during sex. More than thirty sexually transmitted diseases have been identified. The names of such sexually transmitted diseases as acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and gonorrhea are known to most people; however, other sexually transmitted diseases such as Trichomoniasis and genital Candidiasis may not be as familiar. Some sexually transmitted diseases affect only a few people or do not cause life-threatening problems. Other sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea and chlamydial infections, affect many people or cause severe health damage.

    ReplyDelete