Saturday, October 3, 2009

Blog # 5

Interview a woman on her decision to have children or be "childless" (may be temporary). Summarize her response and your thoughts regarding your interviewee's response. Note: you may discuss your own thoughts on having children instead of conducting an interview.

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to have children. When asked to write this blog I sat down and tried to think of the reasons in which I felt so strongly on this topic. To be completely honest I had a some what difficult time determining why I have always felt this way. I suppose part of this decision has been based merely on the fact of being a woman. I believe that we as women, whether we like it or not are wired at some point or another to want to have children. Although this decision is very personal to each individual and includes a wide variety of variables, age, health, relationship status, religion, career, etc I think all women question themselves about having children at some point. I can honestly say I have never even thought about a future without children.

A second reason for wanting to have children is that I have always loved being around children, I find their innocence and zest for the simple things in life to be very refreshing. Much different from the demands and stresses of everyday life. As a pediatric occupational therapy assistant I work with children for several hours each and everyday. Often times the kids I work with come from lower economic families. I see a lot of broken homes, kids with multiple siblings and parents that don't really take an interest in their children. This has been very motivating to me to be a positive, adult influence for these kids, as well as my own children in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I feel the same way you do. I have never not thought about bringing children into the world. I love children and I love working with them and I know that I will be a good mother. As women I do think we all have that urge to want and have children some day. My little cousins and sister love and look up to me and being around them gives me that extra motivation to do well in life so that they can follow my footsteps. My aunt is like 50 years old and does not have any chldren, but she is married and it feels so empty when I go to visit at her house. Children bring joy to life and make life look so fulfilling and you feel like you have somthing to live for. I am so deep into this topic and enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a mother of four kids ranging from 17-11, I can understand how many joys and pains children can bring to a family. Each one of my kids are very different and it fills me with pride to watch them succeed and gives me a few extra gray hairs when they start to stumble. Through it all I could not imagine my life without them.

    ReplyDelete