Read one of the articles OR videos within the supplemental readings/video folders and respond to it in a blog. (There are some very interesting articles and videos this week!)
I watched the video "Faces of Meth" from this weeks supplemental videos and was very disturbed by what I saw. It's very disheartening that a drug with such negative physical and psychological effects has gained such popularity in a high income/well educated country like the United States. Unlike with other drugs it appeared from this video that these drastic physical effects can occur, even when one has used the drug only for a short period of time. Most of the people appeared much thinner than in the previous photo, unkempt (long beards, long/messy hair, dirty faces, worn out clothing), many had the signature meth sores and several appeared to have a dazed look in their eye.
It's easy to see that many of these individuals have chosen to use this drug because it is fairly easy to make, making it a relatively inexpensive drug and the long lasting effects of it's high. The weight loss and increased energy has also made this drug desirable to many women, especially those that have children making it's use not only harmful for them but also for the children that are around it or cared for by a person using this drug. I think meth is a horrible drug and I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this to themselves. I hope more will be done to prevent the use of this drug and help those that are currently using, stop.
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Ashley,
ReplyDeleteYour descrpition of a meth user was pretty miserable. Thin, loss of weight and disfigured face could be a drastic change when someone gets involved in this drug. I was surprised that how women are also involved in this drug habits so that it can help you out to lose weight and provides you an energy.This is probably a negative influence that people carry associated with the drugs.Meth is a big problem in United States. Even high school children are using it because it's easily available and cheap.We should definitely raise our voice to stop these horrific substance uses.