Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blog #3

How would you rate your "preventive practices?" What are some ways in which you can improve your health? What preventative practices do you already implement?

I found the preventive practice assessment to be very interesting. As a professional working in the health care field I try to implement all of these preventative practices. As a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant at a pediatric clinic I get a great deal of exercise daily at work, in addition to working out 3-5 days per week at home. My career is very rewarding and involves limited stress which is helpful in maintaining overall mental wellness. Because of the field I work in I am also a big advocate of practicing safe behaviors such as wearing seat belts and bike helmets.

At work I try to eat healthy lunches and snacks, as well as drinking plenty of water. I do this not only for my own health but also to set a positive example for co-workers and any impressionable patients that may be around during this time. At home I could do a better job making more balanced meals and not eating out a restaurants as much. As our lives get busier I think healthy eating is one of the first things that gets pushed to the side.

The two areas where I think I could improve my health the most are; getting enough sleep and receiving preventative care from a health care provider. Although I try to go to bed at a reasonable hour and get enough rest I often find myself staying up late or getting up early to complete school work, house work or wedding planning. I am very good about going in for preventative care but often put off doctors appointments when I am sick. I usually wait until I am so sick I can't function before going to the doctor. Although I know this is a bad habit to get into I have found it very hard to break because I really dislike going to the doctor when I am sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment